1904 Alexandria Bay Regatta
Adios Won Motor Boat Race
ALEXANDRIA BAY, N.Y., Aug. 10 -- Two motorboat races took place here this afternoon, one of which was won by the Adios, owned by H. J. Leighton of Syracuse. This is the boat which beat the Standard at New York last year. The first race was open only to members of the Thousand Islands and Chippewa Bay Yacht Clubs. It was won by Pink, a thirty-foot motorboat, belonging to J. Wainwright of Philadelphia, over a fourteen and one-half mile course. He time was 55:49. The Kitten, owned by Mayor George Hall of Ogdensburg, was second.
The event of the afternoon was the free-for-all gasoline boat race, without handicap or time allowance. The boats entered were the Roma, owned by Louis T. Hunt of Brooklyn; the Papoose, belonging to Capt. Fitz Hunt of Alexandria Bay; the Carmencita, owned by D. H. Lyon of Ogdensburg; the Radium, steered by her owner, Dr. E. E. Campbell of Alexandria Bay, and the Adios. The latter won in 39:44. The Papoose was only a minute and a half behind the winner.
(Transcribed from the New York Times, Aug. 11, 1904, p. 3. )
[Thanks to Greg Calkins for help in transcribing this page]