1908 Lake George Regatta
Lake George Regatta
HAGUE, N.Y., Aug. 20.--Under blue skies and on calm waters the twenty-first annual regatta of the Lake George regatta Association, the chief aquatic event of the year with the Summer dwellers on the shores of Lake George and Lower Lake Champlain, was held to-day in Hague Bay. New Yorkers formed the majority of the many thousands of spectators who viewed the races from yachts, launches, and the shores. All the lake resorts from Caldwell to Ticonderoga were represented.
The officers of the day were Oliver J. Stephens of New York; referee, E. F. Lamar of New York, starter; William D. Mann, Justice J. M. Deuell, H. M. Cummings, William A. Crippin and Dr. Elias G. Brown, all of New York; judges.
The chief event of the day was the powerboat race for the Broezel Cup. It was for craft measuring 32 to 50 feet on the water line, and the distance was ten miles. It was won by the high-powered Simplex X4, owned by Herman Bowsel of New York, in 24:30. The Adelaide, owned by Walter P. Harris, finished second, and the Ottogo, G. E. Ries, owner, was third.
The six-mile race for launches under 26 feet in length for the Town Topics Cup was won by Herbert J. King's Denrie, in 26:59. Oscar B. Hawes's Killookeel was second, and the Gary Owen, M. S. Slocum, owner, was third.
The Mohican finished first in the three-mile launch race for the Tiny Co-Ed Cup with Mrs. Sophie Mann's La Petite second, and the Bing third. Time of winner, 1:57:04.
(Transcribed from the New York Times, Aug. 21, 1908, p. 5. )
[Thanks to Greg Calkins for help in preparing this page — LF]