1998 Virginia Is For Lovers Cup
U# Driver Team Speed (Mph) U-1 Dave Villwock Miss Budweiser (T-5) 152.847 U-1 Dave Villwock Miss Budweiser (T-3) 151.007 U-100 N. Mark Evans PICO American Dream '96 143.221 U-2 Steve David Harvey Motorsports 142.113 U-9 Mike Weber Miss Carpenter Comm. 131.066 U-3 Mark Weber Master Tire 125.287 U-14 Dr. Ken Muscatel Vaurnet/Audio Bahn option
NOTE: The minimum qualifying speed for turbine powered Unlimited Hydroplanes is set at
130.000 mph. The minimum qualifying speed for piston powered Unlimited
Hydroplanes is set at 120.000 mph. The U3 driven by Mark Weber is the only piston
powered Unlimited on the circuit.
The Qualifying Record for a 2 mi. course is 165.975 Miss Budweiser Chip Hanauer Evansville 1993
Norfolk course record for qualifying: Miss Budweiser (T-5) Dave Villwock 154.576 1997
* * *
NORFOLK, VA (JULY, 19) — Under dazzling skies and before a huge crowd, Dave Villwock made it three straight wins as he piloted the legendary Miss Budweiser to victory on Willoughby Bay here today at the Virginia is For Lovers Cup for Unlimited Hydroplanes.
Over 100,000 sun baked fans saw Bernie Little's lightning quick Budweiser roar to its third straight victory of the Ralphs 1998 Thundertour presented by Las Vegas.
Villwock's win did not come easy, however, as he raced side by side with Mark Evans in PICO American Dream for two laps. Evans hit a turn buoy, however, and was penalized a lap. This put Mark Weber in the piston powered Miss Master Tire in second, one of Ed Cooper's boats top finishes.
Third place went to PICO and Evans. Steve David and Mike Weber failed to finish.
"This boat is simply unbelievable," said Villwock who returned to driving this season after a near fatal crash in Tri-Cities, Washington last July.
Ironically the next stop for the unlimited fleet will be Tri-Cities next Sunday, July 26. Going into that event Villwock holds a 1594 point lead in the season championship points race.
1. U-1 Dave Villwock Miss Budweiser 130.984 400 2. U-100 N. Mark Evans PICO American Dream 124.067 300 3. U-2 Steve David PrimeStar DNS HEAT 1B:
1. U-9 Mike Weber Carpenter Comm. 100.315 400 2. U-3 Mark Weber Master Tire 59.336 300 3. U-14 Ken Muscatel Vuarnet pres. AudioBahn DNS HEAT 2:
1. U-1 Dave Villwock 124.514 400 2. U-2 Steve David 113.711 300 3. U-3 Mark Weber DNF 4. U-14 Muscatel DNF 5. U-9 Mike Weber DNF 6. U-100 N. Mark Evans DNS HEAT 3:
1. U-1 Dave Villwock 121.027 400 2. U-2 Steve David 115.105 300 3. U-3 Mark Weber 86.880 225 4. U-9 Mike Weber DNF 5. U-14 Dr. Ken Muscatel DNF 6. U-100 N. Mark Evans DNS HEAT 4:
1. U-1 Dave Villwock 127.057 400 2. U-100 N. Mark Evans 113.313 300 3. U-2 Steve David 106.498 225 4. U-9 Mike Weber DNS 5. U-3 Mark Weber DNS 6. U-14 Dr. Ken Muscatel W/D Budweiser O'Doul's High Point Championship after 3 Races BOATS: U-1 Miss Budweiser 5089 U-2 Harvey Motorsports 3495 U-100 PICO American Dream 2601 U-9 Carpenter Communications 1807 U-14 Vuarnet pres. Audiobahn 1563 U-3 Master Tire 1415 U-99 R.S. Eastin Hotels 1398 U-8 Llumar Window Film 948 U-20 Appian Jeronimo 874 U-101 PICO American Dream '98 765 DRIVERS: Dave Villwock 5089 Steve David 3495 Mark Evans 2601 Mike Weber 1807 Ken Muscatel 1563 Mark Weber 1584 Rick Christensen 1229 Nate Brown 948 Mitch Evans 874 Mark Tate 765