2001 Budweiser Bill Muncey Cup
San Diego Race Preview
(San Diego, Calif.) - The final event of the 2001 Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane Series presented by Laughlin will take place on September 14-16, on Mission Bay as part of the San Diego Bayfair. In addition, the event will also determine who will be crowned this years' Unlimited Hydroplane World Champion.
"We could not have asked for a better season for the Unlimiteds," said Gary Garbrecht, Hydro-Prop President. "With the season ending at San Diego, I am looking forward to another weekend of action packed racing and the conclusion of the Unlimited championship battle. The San Diego Bayfair has consistently been one of the most exciting events for the Unlimiteds and the fans along the shores of Mission Bay are in for a treat."
* Parity is Theme for Season
The Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane Series presented by Laughlin has produced five different winners in five races. Dave Villwock began his series defense with a victory at Evansville, which was followed by Steve David's win in front of the hometown fans at Madison. Michael Hanson took the APBA Gold Cup in Detroit, Terry Troxell won his first career race at Tri-Cities and Nate Brown duplicated that achievement with his victory at Seattle.
"Increased competition was a main goal for the Unlimiteds this season," continued Garbrecht. "Five different winners in five races is as good as you can get in achieving that goal. With a number of drivers who have not won this season capable of winning at San Diego including Mark Weber, Mike Weber and Greg Hopp, we could possibly achieve six for six."
* Five Different Winners Not Accomplished in Over a Decade
There has not been an Unlimited Hydroplane season where there has been more than four different winners in a season since 1989. That year, Jim Kropfeld, Scott Pierce, Chip Hanauer, Larry Lauterbach, Tom D'Eath and Mitch Evans were victorious.
* Expected Entries
The San Diego Bayfair will have a full complement of Unlimited drivers all looking tend the season with a victory. The field includes defending series champion Dave Villwock, Scott Pierce, Steve David, Mark Weber, Mike Weber, Mitch Evans, Jimmy King, Michael Hanson, Ken Muscatel, Nate Brown, Terry Troxell and Greg Hopp.
* Past San Diego Winners Look for Additional Bayfair Victory
Dave Villwock, Michael Hanson and Scott Pierce have all left San Diego holding the Bayfair trophy. Villwock has claimed five Bayfairs, and Hanson and Pierce have each won once. "San Diego is a favorite race site for many drivers and I know each one of us would love twin another Bayfair title," said Villwock.
* Villwock Leads O'Doul's National High Points
Dave Villwock (738 points) leads the O'Doul's National High Points Championship standings as the series heads for the season finale. Villwock seeks his fifth drivers championship and 21st for Bernie Little's Miss Budweiser. Mark Weber currently sits in second with 588 points followed by Greg Hopp with 556. Rounding out the top five are Steve David with 479 points and Michael Hanson with 439 points.
* History of San Diego Bayfair
- 2001 marks the 34th year of Unlimited Hydroplane racing at San Diego.
- First race was held in 1964 and was called the San Diego Cup.
- 1964 San Diego Cup was won by the Mariner Too driven by Warner Gardner.
- Bernie Little's Miss Budweiser won its first San Diego event in 1966 with Bill Brow.
- Little's Miss Budweiser has won San Diego a record 13 times.
- Dave Villwock has a record of five wins at San Diego, just ahead of Chip Hanauer who has four.
- Dave Villwock's first career Unlimited victory was at San Diego in 1992 aboard Coors Dry.
- Michael Hanson's first career Unlimited victory was also at San Diego in 1993 aboard Kellogg's Frosted Flakes.
- None in Unlimited history had ever won a race from the trailer position, but Hanson managed to do exactly that in 1993.
Practice and qualifying for the San Diego Bayfair will begin on Friday, September 14 with the finals scheduled for Sunday, September 16. The San Diego Bayfair will be televised on ESPN2 on Saturday, October 13 at 5:30 PM (EDT).