2019 HomeStreet Bank Cup
Kelly awarded HomeStreet Bank Cup after Shane is penalized
SEATTLE (Aug. 4, 2019)— In one of the most confusing Seafair races in recent memory, fans were surprised that the celebrated win by Jimmy Shane of Maple Valley, Washington was stripped after the race.
The race was awarded to J. Michael Kelly of Bonney Lake, Wash., driver of the U-12 Graham Trucking after officials determined after the race that Shane had violated the minimum 80 mph rule several times in the pre-race milling period.
After reviewing on-board video, H1 Unlimited hydroplane officials said that Shane had indeed gone below the minimum speed twice and added a one-minute penalty after the race.
Officials also reviewed on board video from Kelly's race boat and determined that the penalty called during the race on Kelly for going under 80 mph was incorrect and his one minute penalty was rescinded.
This is the third consecutive year Seafair has been decided by penalty.
The official order of finish for the HomeStreet Bank Cup at Seafair is:
1) U-12 Graham Trucking, J. Michael Kelly, 136.294 mph
2) U-1 Delta/RealTrac, Andrew Tate, 132.161 mph
3) U-11 J&D's presents Reliable Diamond Tool, Jamie Nilsen, 128.026 mph
4) U-1918 Oberto Super Salami, Jeff Bernard, 123.902 mph
5) U-6 Miss Home Street, Jimmy Shane, 111.254 mph
6) U-98 Graham Trucking American Dream, Corey Peabody, 110.162 mph
7) U-99.9 CARSTAR powered Miss Rock, Brian Perkins, 101.290 mph
August 4th, 2019