1947 Lake Tahoe Championship
Dollar's Power Boat U-1 Reaches 60 Miles Per Hour
While Winning Lake Tahoe's Champipnship Regatta
TAHOE CITY, Aug. 18. (U.P.) -— Lake Tahoe's championship for speedboats, a five-lap event, went to J. Stanley Dollar, Jr., in the U-1. Roaring at a clip of 60.15 miles an hour, Dollar's craft beat Henry Kaiser's Hornet.
This was the most exciting event of the annual power boat regatta staged by the Tahoe Yacht Club at Chambers Lodge. Mechanics worked all night on both boats to have them tuned for the Sunday races. The Hornet's Allison engine "froze" on Saturday and the mechanics were up all night instailing a new one.
Commodore Brooks Walker announced that the Commodore's Cup will be awarded as soon as winning points for the season's competition have been compiled. Earl Schnetz of Sacramento, in his Mary Elizabeth, for the second time won the coveted Carl Bechdolt, Jr., perpetual trophy. Another win will give him permanent possession,
Fair skies and perfect water conditions greeted the thousands of spectators who witnessed the day's events.
In the 145 horsepower event, over a 2.6 mile course, first place went to Fred Main of Tahoe in 7 minutes, 11 seconds; second to Olin Miller in the Korky, 7:37; third Daniel Elliott in the Scram, 7:44.
Olin Miller won the 115 h.p. and under ciass, in 7:51. H. W, Lampson in Peewee was second, 8:21, and Fred Main, Blue Pocket, third, 8:35.
Fred Main's Lightning won the 165 h.p. and under class; Olin Miller second in Korky and Herbert Day third in Haedae, no times available as the entry list exceeded the stop watches.
Herbert Day's Haedae won the 325 h.p. race .in 9:26. Second was Fred Main's Hackercraft, 9:32; third Henry Kaiser's Lemme Go in 9:47.
The novel bang-and-go-back race went to W. B. Townes' The Bat. Second was Brooks Walker, Jr, and third Margaret Hawkins in the Sprenaloc. The three-lap relay event went to Earl Schnetz of Sacramento in the Mary Elizabeth in 15:19. W. E. Briggs in Shamus was second, Burt Towne, Jr., in Bat was third.
(Reprinted from the Nevada State Journal, August 19, 1947)