1988 Miller High Life Thunderboat Classic
Tom D'Eath drove Miss Budweiser to a record two-mile lap of 146.074 mph to lead qualifying for today’s Miller High Life Thunderboat Classic at Syracuse, N.Y. The former Onondaga Lake course record of 145.631 was set last year by Miss Budweiser.
Chip Hanauer, aboard the Miller High Life, had the second-fastest speed of 141.074. Mr. Pringle’s, with Scott Pierce driving, was third at 139.292, followed by Mike Hanson and the Sutphen Spirit at 138.037.
Mr. Pringle's, winner of the Indiana Governor’s Cup at Madison July 3, leads the national standings with a four-race total of 3,775 points. Oh Boy! Oberto, yesterday’s No. 5 qualifier at 130.175, is second with 3,550.
|Qualifying speeds for today's Miller High Life Thunderboat Classic at Syracuse, N Y. (fastest lap over two-mile course):
1. Miss Budweiser, Tom D'Eath, 146.074
2. Miller High life, Chip Hanauer, 141.074
3. Mr Pringle's, Scott Pierce, 139.292
4. Sutphen Spirit, Mike Hanson, 138.037
5. Oh Boy! Oberto, Geo. Woods, 130.175
6. Days Inn (U-4), Mike David, 110.450
7. Miss Madison, Ron Snyder, 107.704
8. Paddock Pools, Jerry Hopp, 106.132
9. Risley's, Mitch Evans, 105 541.
Unqualified: Circus Circus (damaged during qualifying run, but expected to be repaired in time for race); The Eliminator; Stroh Light
(Reprinted from the Louisville Courier-Journal, July 16, 1988)