1905 Frontenac Regatta [2nd Series]

Frontenac Y.C. Power Boat Races

Series of races run off on three days on point system,
each boat gets 1 point for entering and 1 point for every boat beaten, total of three days to count.

Frontenac Y.C., on Round Island in St. Lawrence River about 1½ miles below Clayton.

Judges--S. H. Vandergrift, C. P. Lyon and T. A. Gillespie

The first of these races, on August 29th, was marred somewhat by the absence of Panhard II, Vingt-et-Un II and Flying Dutchman III. Panhard II had been shipped home, Vingt- et-Un II was still unable to compete after her breakdowns at the Alexandria Bay races and Dutchman en route for home. The performance of the latter boat was somewhat of a disappointment to many. Her lines show her to be a radical departure from conventional types, and her appearance was looked for with interest. Unfortunately she had the misfortune to break a crankshaft early in the trials, and although her designer, Mr. Whittelsey, mad an effort to have her compete with only one engine, the load was too heavy to swing and the scheme was abandoned. Rochester, although she failed to win with the allowance, made an excellent showing, tore around the course in fine style and finished in the lead by a large margin, but not enough to win from Invlese on corrected time.

First race, handicap, over triangular course, three times, total distance 20.46 miles. Entries numbered 12, of which all showed up and competed with the exception of Panhard II, Vingt-et-Un II and Flying Dutchman III.

Start was made at 2:46 p.m., all going over in a bunch with the exception of Canard and T.Z.R., which were headed the wrong way as the gun was fired, and lost considerable times in turning. Rochester shot out of the bunch and led the way to the first turn, going beautifully. Shortly after start the bid steamer Kingston came up the river, but made a quick landing and did not cause any trouble. Going down the opposite side of the river the boats got quite a little sea and tossed clouds of spray high in the air. T.Z.R. broke down directly opposite the start on the first round and for some time lay drifting about. On the first complete round Rochester passed first, followed by Roma, T.Z.R., Navajo, Canard, and the others strung out. On the second round Rochester still led the bunch followed by Roma, with Navajo and Canard ahead of T.Z.R., whose engine was going badly. On this round Teal, of which so much was expected by the local talent, broke down and later came in and lay up at the wharf. Measurer Ernest Serrill, of the Frontenac Y.C., who was in charge of engine, reported a broken pump connection as the cause to her withdrawal. The third round was finished and no important change in positions of the leaders , and the final round as follows: Rochester setting very low in the water, followed by Roma, Navajo, Canard, T.Z.R., Invlese, Skeeter and Durno. Invlese proved the winner on time, and Mr. Godshalk, builder of engine, and Mr. Wesson, owner of Invlese, received an ovation from the spectators.

Summary, First race of handicap series
Name, Owner Club Rating H.P. Engine Cor Time
Durno, J. H. Durand Rochester 41.4 6.73 Rochester 2:00:00
Teal, H. S. Johnson Frontenac 41.58 7.54 Leighton did not finish
Rochester, W. J. Graham Rochester 71.5 32.46 Rochester 1:49:36
Canard, J. H. Morgan Frontenac 64.20 40.84 Leighton 1:53:02½
T.Z.R., A.B. & W.W. Richardson Frontenac 64.50 45.29 Hiete 1:54:43½
So Long, Geo. S. Hasbrouck Frontenac 65.74 25.83 Trebert did not start
Panhard II, A. Massenat Columbia 73.76 55.19 Panhard did not start
Vingt-et-Un II, W. S. Kilmer Chippewa 79.34 59.70 Simplex did not start
Invlese, F. H. Wesson Riverton 44.56 13.64 Giant 1:34:42½
Roma, Louis Hunt Frontenac 60.50 25.0 Leighton 1:41:12½
Skeeter, C. H. Tangeman Frontenac 44.85 12.78 F.I.A.T. 1:47:13
Navajo, W. M. Beers Chippewa 53.10 20.35 Barber 1:36:08

The "free-for-all" race was started at 4:39 p.m. and was rather tame, inasmuch as only one of the four boats entered finished.

Simplex, Roma, Rochester and T.Z.R. lined up for the start and got away in good order, and were still bunched until the first turn was neared, when Rochester dropped out suddenly while going well; later she came to the float half sunk. The trouble was a very bad leak in her rudder port. In this type of craft the rudder post is fitted with a stuffing box and owing to negligence of the mechanic the packing was omitted, and during the first race the engineer pumped continually. In the "free-for-all" matters got worse, and with fly wheel heaving solid water Mr. Graham was forced to quit and pump out. T.Z.R. again broke down and was towed in with engine out of adjustment. Simplex slowed down considerably on the second round and finally stopped altogether. Roma continued around the course and finished alone in 1 hour, 6 minutes and 50 seconds.

The performance of this boat during the afternoon was very good. She finished both races, a good 40 miles in all, without any trouble whatever, her Leighton engine running perfectly. Unfortunately her efforts under the point system did not count for much, since her competitors dropped out.

Second Day of Series, August 30 -- Handicap Race

The day began with rain and brisk wind; prospects bad for the race, but by noon the sun came out and the races started with nearly perfect conditions. Vingt-et-Un II was still unable to compete. Durno and Skeeter failed to start. The starting gun was fired at 2:35 p.m. and Rochester shot over the line first, followed by Teal, Roma, Invlese, Canard and Navajo in the order named. Rochester and Teal slowed up considerably and the first round was completed as follows: Roma, Navajo, Rochester, Canard, Invlese and Teal.

The weather began to threaten as the boats started on the last lap, and finally it began to rain quite hard. In about the middle of the final round a heavy rain squall passed down the river, clearing out the spectators, but leaving the river smooth as glass. Roma after stopping a short time on the final round, finished in 1 hour, 8 minutes and 52 seconds. Just as Roma finished Rochester dropped "dead," about one mile from the line, cause being poor batteries. Canard came in second, the Navajo and Invlese in a heavy rain squall. Rochester got going again and finished just ahead of Teal.

No. Boat Handicap Cor'd Time
7 Rochester 44:56 1:16:08
15 Roma 33:42 1:42:34
9 T.Z.R. 38:14 did not start
17 Navajo 23:30 1:38:37½
8 Canard 37:55 1:50:07
14 Invlese 7:28 1:31:36
6 Teal 05 1/5 1:31:53 3/5
16 Skeeter 08:13 did not start
5 Durno scratch did not start

The second race of the "free-for-all" series was started under perfect weather conditions, bright sky and river smooth. Simplex, So Long and Roma lined up for the start. Roma and So Long got over together, followed by Simplex about 100 yards behind. After rounding the first buoy So Long broke down and Simplex finished the first round in 18 minutes and 41½ seconds; Roma in 24 minutes and 48 seconds. Simplex made the first two rounds in 37 minutes. So Long came in under tow and reported the timer burned out. Simplex finished the final round at 5:30:13 1/5, in 55 minutes and 53½ seconds. Roma was second in 1 hour, 7 minutes and 41 2/5 seconds. Comanche, although not entered, started with the gun and made a very good race with Roma, but 5 seconds separated them at the finish.

Third Day's Races, August 31 -- Handicap

The last day of the races brought out a large crowd of spectators; many yachts were anchored off the finish line, including Privateer, of New York, which looked like a gunboat alongside of the river craft. Start was made at 2:35 p.m., and the boats went over in a bunch led by Canard, Rochester and Invlese. Roma's owner, thinking he had no chance, remained out and as it afterwards proved lost two cups. had Roma finished she would have won one of the handicap prizes and prize for best average time. Navajo broke down on the second round and lost some 20 minutes trying to locate the trouble. The second round was finished in the following order with all boats going well: Canard, Rochester, Invlese, Teal and Navajo. The latter boat got going again and chased after the others. The final round was covered by all in good style with the exception of Teal. The rocker arm of the middle cylinder broke and Teal finished on two cylinders, losing to Invlese, the first boat, by 1 minute and 45 seconds.

T.Z.R., Skeeter and Durno failed to start.

Rochester 1:55:22
Teal 1:31:30
Invlese 1:29:44½
Canard 1:46:36½
Navajo 1:53:09

The third day's results show Invlese, F. H. Wesson, owner, to be winner of the series with Navajo second. Canard wins the prize for the best average time of the series -- 3 days' racing at an average of 16 miles an hour.

Summary of points -- three days' racing: Invlese, 20 points; Navajo, 14; Roma,10; Canard, 10; Teal, 9; Rochester, 8; T.Z.R., 4; Skeeter, 3; Durno, 1.

* * *

The final race of the "free-for-all" started at 4:30 p.m. The starters were Simplex, Roma and T.Z.R., Rochester being out of it on account of electrical troubles. Simplex again waited for others to cross the line and the three made a very good race to the first buoy. At this point Simplex began to run away from the others, finishing the first round in 18 minutes and 44 seconds. T.Z.R. and Roma made quite a race with Comanche, which boat also started though not entered. The second round was made by Simplex in 37 minutes and 18 seconds. On this round the well-known S.Y. Now Then gave Simplex a little brush, but was soon left behind. The final round was finished by Simplex at 5:26:02, making 56 minutes and 2 seconds for the course, winning the series easily. While the races were a success in every way great disappointment was experienced by nay that neither Vingt-et-Un II, Panhard II, Flying Dutchman III nor Skeeter were in the series. Simplex had an easy thing in the "free-for-all" and Invlese had 6 points to spare in a total of 20.

Simplex is a Smith & Mabley boat with one of their 150 h.p. engines while Invlese as designed and built by the E. H. Godshalk Co., who also built her engine.

Points --"free-for-all:" Simplex, 10; Roma, 8; T.Z.R., 2; Rochester and So Long, 0.

(Transcribed from Power Boat News, Sep. 9, 1905, pp. 444-445 )

[Thanks to Greg Calkins for helo in preparing this page. — LF]